top of page

Castle take the points

The match began with a series of scrappy exchanges, with neither side able to produce any real fluency early on.

Bootle had the first real opportunity, as Andrew Scarisbrick broke through, but good defensive work by James Askey prevented him from shooting.

Newcastle’s first chance at a goal came minutes later, as Will Lloyd had his shot blocked before Jack van der Laan fired just wide.

Home keeper Slinn then had to be sharp moments later to prevent Bootle from turning in a cross at the near post. As the first half progressed, the game fell into a pattern of Bootle showing decent build up play, but failing to keep the ball.

Meanwhile, Newcastle struggled to create clear cut chances, with Bootle managing to defend their area.

First, Scarisbrick once again broke, but failed to shoot, before Nathan Morley fed Lloyd, who could not get his shot off.

Minutes later, Lovatt intercepted a Bootle back pass, before firing past keeper Sam Ashton from the edge of the area.

Bootle almost equalised immediately from a free kick, but Slinn got behind the header to deny them. Bootle then had a small spell of pressure, but Newcastle defended well to go in ahead at the break.

Newcastle started the second half on the attack and had shouts for a handball penalty waved away. Bootle right back Roberts then drove to the edge of the area, only to see his shot blocked and Slinn claim the ricochet.

Moments later, Bootle’s Joe Welsh just failed to reach a pinpoint cross with Slinn beaten, before he had to push Robert’s shot over the bar.

That set the pattern for the second half, with Slinn producing saves over the next ten minutes off Roberts and Jack McGowan.

At the other end, Mikey Conlon’s cross was nearly turned in by Lovatt, before he then shot wide.

Newcastle then had their best chance of the half, as Conlon produced an excellent run to reach the box, before feeding Lloyd, who played in Morley, but his shot was well gathered by Ashton. Minutes later, Bootle played in substitute Ben Hodgkinson, only for Slinn to stick a hand out and save. Newcastle then came forward, and Lloyd produced another great run, only for Ashton to produce an excellent save to deny him.

Bootle then went close as Hodgkinson fed Peterson, only for him to scuff his shot, which Slinn easily gathered.

Newcastle were now trapped in their half but resolute defending from Newcastle and Slinn’s heroics meant Bootle could not force an equaliser.

First, Roberts had a shot blocked by Jack van der Laan, before Bootle captain James McCarten headed wide from the corner.

Newcastle substitute Jayden Hunter’s break almost brough a second goal, but he could not find Lloyd with his cross.

Bootle then came back for their last chances, but Slinn saved off Roberts once again, before Peterson headed over from the last play of the game.

The result means that Newcastle remains just outside the playoffs on goal difference, ahead of their visit to Macclesfield Town on Tuesday.


Recent Posts

See All

Match Preview - Vauxhall Motors FC vs Newcastle Town FC

Chance for fourth league double tomorrow On the face of it there may not be a great deal left to play for this season with just two matches left, but you can always find something in a game. Most impo


bottom of page