top of page

Comeback this time secures the points

Match Report


Christopher Sweetman

Newcastle Town welcomed Widnes FC to The Red Industries Stadium as they returned to league football after a few weeks of cup action.

The hosts started out well and had a chance early on as Michael Conlon drove into the box, but his cross was deflected.

However, it was Widnes who took an early lead as their quick break and a perfect cross allowed Salkeld to tap in.

After the goal, Newcastle mounted a period of sustained pressure on the Widnes goal.

First, Jack van der Laan shot wide after an extended build-up, before his brother Tommy had an effort blocked.

Then an excellent break by Nathan Morley saw him find Conlon, who fed Jack van der Laan, who just poked his shot wide.

Conlon, who was causing Widnes all sorts of problems had another shot blocked, before slipping past challenges into the area, only for another Widnes block to deny him.

The visitors were still displaying a threat on the break but failed to really trouble Newcastle keeper Joe Slinn.

At the other end, Luke Dennis headed just wide off a free kick, before Morley’s shot was deflected over the bar.

Widnes striker Declan Daniels had a shot blocked by Hurst, before Newcastle had their best chance of the half.

The van der Laan brothers combined to release Morley, who fed Lovatt, whose shot was spilled by Widnes keeper Gabriel Breeze, but Lovatt could not turn in the rebound.

Instead, Newcastle had to settle for a half-time deficit they did not truly deserve.

Newcastle came out firing after the break, with Morley breaking and finding Lovatt with a pinpoint cross, only for his header to hit a defender.

However, Newcastle was unable to build on that early chance, with inaccuracy with the wet ball affecting both teams.

on 59 minutes Slinn had to be brave to claim the ball off Declan Daniels’ feet after Newcastle lost possession, showing his worth as the Castle number one.

However, on 62 minutes Widnes’ Ryan Gibson was sent off for a second yellow card.

However, Newcastle soon got back into the game, as Ethan Vale released Morley, whose cross found Lovatt at the back post to fire home.

And minutes later Newcastle took the lead as Ritchie broke and found Jack van der Laan waiting in the box to smash home Castle's second in the game.

The lead was no less than Newcastle deserved, having looked the better team for much of the game.

Morley then almost found himself in on goal after a miscommunication between Breeze and Stephen Rigby, but Rigby recovered to make the tackle. Widnes then had a chance to restore parity off a free kick, but the header went wide.

Wides continued to push on in an attempt to get level with a series of attacking throws, However, the ball was collected by Slinn off the final throw to secure the win.

Victory means Newcastle remain unbeaten in the league this season and will look to continue this as they travel to Prescott Cables this Saturday.


Recent Posts

See All

Match Preview - Vauxhall Motors FC vs Newcastle Town FC

Chance for fourth league double tomorrow On the face of it there may not be a great deal left to play for this season with just two matches left, but you can always find something in a game. Most impo


bottom of page