top of page

Unbeaten in 9

Newcastle began the game brightly, putting Mossley under plenty of early pressure, with

their press. Will Llyod and Jayden hunter combined after five minutes to win the ball in Mossley’s half, and Newcastle eventually won a free kick for handball.

Ethan Vale went for goal from the free kick, which Mossley keeper Dale Latham had to parry


Moments later Tommy van der Laan almost put Hunter through, put he could not get a

clean touch and Latham was able to gather.

However, the home side was starting to grow into the game, and they took the lead on 15

minutes. Mason Fawns was able to work himself space in the centre and he fired a volley into the top corner, with Joe Slinn stranded. Mossley was denied a second moments later by the offside flag, but they were starting to grow in the game.

The host’s passing at times left Newcastle looking like they were chasing shadows, but

Mossley’s lack of composure in front of the goal kept them in the game.

Fawns fired a shot straight at Slinn, before Jack Bannister and Jordan Butterworth both shot

wide. However, Newcastle were beginning to get back into the game, and were beginning to build some pressure. Luke Dennis very nearly got them level, only for his header to come back off the underside of the bar, and the ball was on the line when Latham secured it.

Mossley managed to get one last chance to end the half, but were unable to add to their


Newcastle began the second half, in the same manner, they finished the first, with Mikey

Conlon firing a shot straight at Latham.

Minutes later Conlon earned the visitors a penalty, as he was squeezed by two defenders

trying to get to Oliver Ritchie’s pass.

Jack van der Laan made no mistake from the spot to draw Newcastle level – a just reward for their improvement since the break.

And they should have taken the lead on the hour, as Hunter’s pinpoint cross found Ritchie

unmarked at the back post, but he could only head across the face of goal. Mossley began to reassert their dominance after that, once again cutting Newcastle apart with their passing.

However, the host’s addiction to shooting from range kept the game level with a series of attacks ending with Mossley shooting wide or over.

Newcastle’s next game sees them welcome Kidsgrove Athletic to the Red Industries Stadium

on Monday, before we travel to Stafford Rangers for their FA Cup First Qualifying Round tie.


Recent Posts

See All

Match Preview - Vauxhall Motors FC vs Newcastle Town FC

Chance for fourth league double tomorrow On the face of it there may not be a great deal left to play for this season with just two matches left, but you can always find something in a game. Most impo


bottom of page