top of page

This run is halted

Match Report by

Christopher Sweetman

Newcastle started the game brightly, winning an early series of corners, but failed to fashion any clear chances. Their first chance came as Nathan Morley set Oliver Ritchie free on the left, but his cross was volleyed over by Jake Lovatt. Minutes later, Mikey Conlon managed to force his way into the box, but his cross was clipped away, and Ethan Vale’s follow up shot hit a defender.

Having survived the host’s early flurry, Spalding came into the game, with a series of attacks just picked off by the Newcastle defence but Spalding took the lead on 20 minutes with a breakaway and ball across to Toby Hilliard whose shot was saved by Slinn only for it to deflect in off a defender for an own goal.

However, as the half progressed, Newcastle earned their two best chances of the half.

First, Lovatt fired a shot straight at Spalding keeper Michael Duggan, after a good clearance from Tommy van der Laan, then Lovatt got into the box, and his pullback should have been tapped in, but no one got the touch and Morley could not get to the follow up.

Half Time

Castle 0-1 Spalding

Spalding nearly extended the lead straight after the break, but goalkeeper Joe Slinn’s sharp save kept the games score line to 1-0

Morley then earned the home side a corner, which resulted in a scramble in the box, but Newcastle could not dig out a shot. Castle was seeing most of the ball at this point, but could not make anything of it, with a series of promising switches going too long for the wingers.

However, much like in the first half, Newcastle did eventually manufacture and spurn three chances to get back into the game.

First, substitute Jayden Hunter broke into the box, but his shot on the angle went wide, minutes later, the ball fell to Lovatt from a throw on the edge, and it took a spectacular save from Duggan to tip it over the bar. Will Lloyd also played in Lovatt moments later who was on the angle and his shot was just wide.

With the host’s spurning chances, Spalding displayed much greater sharpness to double their lead, as Spalding won possession and played forward to Sandy who put the ball away with precision from an angle over the advancing Slinn.

From there, Spalding kept the pressure on Newcastle to see out the game and condemn the hosts to their first defeat of the season.

Newcastle is next in action on Saturday when they play Congleton Town in the FA Cup Third Qualifying Round.

Full Time

Castle 0-2 Spalding


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page